Wednesday, October 10, 2012

In an instant

As they say, it all changes in an instant. A week ago, CamO was riding his bike like any other day when he slid in a puddle and crashed to the ground. I remember all the details, from Cameron screaming “I broke my leg! I broke my leg!” and Jackie riding both bikes home, to holding his leg during x-ray and finally the look on his face when he realized he won’t be going to gymnastics and playing soccer.

It is certainly the most traumatic event in his 6 years. And it will be a painful few weeks/months ahead of him. But when I looked at the parents of the 3-yr-old girl in the room next to us, diagnosed with neuroblastoma, it really put things into perspective for me. This is temporary. It will make a great story for him in college and he will (hopefully) only have little scars to show for it. I'm so thankful Dr. Peggy was present during pre-op instructions. It was a trying time for both Dave and I. (Note: all of the pics are from my camera phone, so excuse the lack of resolution.) 

Post-surgery, Cameron was a tearful sight. Took my breath away. 


 TV and drug-induced vegetative state post-surgery with loads of pain and narcotics.

 Love from Deane and Licorice from Miss Karen lifted CamO's spirits ever so slightly. Rock Star Fluff-and-Stuff (the teady bear) got a brand new cast, crutch and wheelchair to match.

UNC sends their football team (or basketball team depending on the season) around the children's hospital for photo ops the day before a home game. 2 of the 3 players pictured had broken their bones as a child and Cameron could appreciate that.

Miss Karen and Miss Julie entertained the girls for 48 hours straight. They got their nails done, had sleepovers, dinner and lunch dates- they royally spoiled these girls!  A day later, Miss Amy did the same. I am forever grateful to them.
 PT began with an involuntary transfer to the wheelchair. Any movement causes lots of pain for Cameron, so he's content wherever he resides. Being in a wheelchair was not his most desired location.

 There's no place like home...

I am so thankful for the love and support my friends and family- especially my rocks, Deane, Karen, Julie & Amy. Cameron has received countless gifts and visitors, and we’ve gotten loads of meals, groceries, medical support, and chauffeur services. We are truly blessed.

Each day brings it’s small successes and frustrations, but Cameron’s improving daily. More to come!

No comments: