Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Magic Tree House Books


After the 32+ Junie B. Jones books (and books-on-tape) I struggled to find something age-appropriate & innocent for Jacqueline. And, most importantly, something NOT related to princesses. I knew it was time to move on when Cameron starting requesting the Cinderella video. Hence, ‘The Magic Tree House’ books. In a nut-shell it’s a series about a bro & sis who discover a magic tree house in their woods. The tree house is filled with books. The kids travel in time via the tree house to places determined by the books they open. So the latest one was about traveling to ancient Japan where the ninjas & samauri fight. I got about 6 chapeters in before J said that the ninjas scared her. When I got to the picture of the samauri and the part where they fight the ninjas, she had me stop reading all together. She just wanted to peak at the picture of the samauri, which should have been my first clue that princess crap would have been much better. If, instead of ‘ninjas & samauri fighting’ I had substituted in ‘princesses & mermaids having a tea party’ I would have slept that night. When J finally believed that ninjas & samauri no longer exist & don’t randomly kill people they don’t know, she shut her eyes. About 3am, she crept into bed next to me crying. Jackie dreamt the samauri warriors were trying to kill her. (What the hell was I thinking?) 20 min later she was asleep on top of me with her hands gripped around my back. I got no sleep and bruises. So I’m thinking about skipping the ‘Mummies at Midnight’ adventure. Of course I could substutute the mummy with Princess Aurora who lives in a tomb in Egypt b/c she really died afterall. The prince forgot to kiss her. He was busy working at his computer.

No comments: