Sunday, July 26, 2009

When did Kindergarten get so complicated?

I just finished up the essay for Jacqueline to enter Kindergarten at our public school (not to mention the other 11 documents I had to submit). Yes, we pay taxes for her to go to this school, but yet, we have to write an essay describing how she best learns and what environment would be most appropriate for her, so they can put her in 1 of 4 kindergarten classes with a bazillion other kids and it won't matter anyway. I won't rehash the anxiety I had just a few years ago when I had to write her first essay about why the montessori school should accept my 2 year old. "Because Jackie can distinguish green from light green and a moon from a star! That's why you should accept her!" And the letter of recommendation we had to submit to Duke School for our then- 3-yr-old. I can only imagine the fun writing essays for college apps will be in a few years. Until then, I will keep my not-just-yet-kindergartner at home basking in the adoration of her baby sister. I could just eat them up.

No comments: